Scott Radom's WIP thread...

Post your "Work In Progress" photos here.
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding works in progress here, please. If you have photos of these works when they're completed, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the work in progress.
ScottRadom

Scott Radom's WIP thread...

Post by ScottRadom »

Thought I'd start one up here for the times I take a WIP shot. I've been getting more than my share of great advice from CofC, still gotta make sure i am putting it into practice...
ImageClick to see full-sized image

So this is the Executioner from Wyrd. It's the second time I have painted it and I really enjoy the mini. These are some quick pics taken with flash and I am a little suprised y how much is lost here in terms of contrast. The first time I painted this guys I went for goofy kinda colours but this time I wanted to try more earthy kinda realistic colours ('Cause that's important on a fat dude with steam powered claws y'know...). Anyway, I'll take whatever advice anyone feels like throwing out there. I should take some better pics too. I need to snap some of the mini I got from the ME so I should get off my ass and do it.
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Re: Scott Radom's WIP thread...

Post by Nameless »

skin looks goods on the 2nd pic, especially the face! it's not as smooth at the back though.
zenithal lighting effect used for skin is not visible on pants, but I'm not sure if they are WIP or not.
brown/rusty wash for metal this engine something on his back?
claws - I'm sure that removing excess material from between them is a pain in the ass, but try... or change the pic angle to hide it ;)
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

about slash lights

http://home.comcast.net/~dougsmit/bounceflashtoys.html

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-y ... ash-2.html

i this should help

Back to mini

at this point skin gona be good (just dont forget about shadiows end will rock :)
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
ToMaZ
Expects too much, too

Post by ToMaZ »

I like this a lot so far. Skin is very nice at the front. Very smooth belly and face. I would bring up the tip of the nose and the upward facing side of his lip to at least the same light colour as the lightest part of the belly. And how about adding some hair on the belly/chest?
The skin on his back is a bit more complex due to the muscles, the contrast is pretty good, but you can go deeper with your shading. Try it on the deeper parts where different muscle groups meet. Shoulders/upper arm etc...

Example on my version or Airtis:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/T ... 1297794446
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/T ... 1297794565

I made the contrast pretty high between a couple of muscles. You don't need to shade that deep though.

And you really should have removed that flash between the blades :wink:
---ToMaZ---

Try honesty...
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

very good job on the face and belly. strong lighting makes it interesting and eyecatching
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
ScottRadom

Post by ScottRadom »

Okay, working on this dude now. Pic's arent' great, but on this mini I really wanted to put more focus and practice on the flesh. I am trying to use the technique that Mathieu Roesche(SP?) used in his miniature mentor video of Artis the gnome as well as the tips I've been getting here. Also, one thing I am getting crit's on are my black leather boots. Seem's I just don't do them that well! These boots here would normally be called finished by myself, should I re-think that and do more? Fire away any comments you like please. Thanks again!
synthet

Post by synthet »

I like the black boots, I think black is a very hard color to paint, because I always get the highligts to strong. You did well thought! But I do have one suggestion, the boots looks to clean comparing to the blue and yellow fabrics on the mini. Maybe dirt them up a bit using the same colors that you used on the blue and yellow fabric? I think that would really make the boots look good.:)

/Synthet
Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

Post by Skrit »

Very promising start mate! I think the boots are nearly there, some sharper highlights (more towards white) here and there and as Synthet says some dusting like on the cloth and you have a winner! :)
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

good job on the dirty rags/pouches hanging from his belt and the leather parts in the front.
I quite like the boots. stronger highlights could make them look polished and shiny. I think a little weathering will make them look just fine.
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector