Funding projects on Kickstarter or other similar sites?

All the stuff which didn't fit anywhere else

Would you back a mini related project?

Yes; if the subject is to my liking and has something solid to preview. (concept art, Greens etc)
63%
Maybe; if the subject is to my liking and has something solid to preview. (concept art, Greens etc) And I know if this project has a chance of succes.
38%
No; I don't think this sort of funding works or i don't trust it.
No votes
Yes, maybe, no; You need more Poll options! :mrgreen: (if you click this one then atleast suggest what!)
No votes

Total votes: 8

Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

Funding projects on Kickstarter or other similar sites?

Post by Skrit »

:mrgreen: Hi,

I was wondering what your thoughts are about funding sites like Kickstarter, IndieGoGo, Ulule etc... They are great platfroms for creative minds who have everything they need, except the cash to realize it! :roll:

If someone starts a project that is to your interest, would you back it?
Of course there is some difference in aproach to these sites. For example;

*Kickstarter only 'pays' if the target value is reached. Down side is only USA residents can place projects which is wierd because backers are allowed worldwide. :(

*IndieGoGo pays out any amount made even if the target value isn't reached making it in my opinion a bit dodgy. Also browsing the site is confusing and Imo not very easy/fun!

*The third I'd like to mention is Ulule, where you can basically offer a product, set a target to be reached and only if succesful you get the funds. This works a bit like pre-orders.

Kickstarter seems to be a quite a good choice if you want to reach your target as several mini projects have been quite succesful lately!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/211 ... iature-lin

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hya ... odus-adven

There are some more similar sites but these seem to be the most well known/used.

I won't pretend I am asking these questions without a motive of my own. I too have plans to start my own miniatures line and am very busy organizing, planning and trying to gather fundings by selling off ALL (well 95%, can't part with all my treasures! ;) ) of my hobby stuff. But still, will it be enough? So I am looking into maybe starting one of these projects myself to see if it can help jumpstart my range. :D

Oh, and I added a poll too! :mrgreen:

EDIT: I really would like to state that even though I do want to start a range, the above was not directly with me in mind but I did would like to know how people look at these sort of sites/projects. :D
arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

Re: Funding projects on Kickstarter or other similar sites?

Post by arctica »

Well i've been thinking about this a bit since i saw your topic and I think i would only invest in a project who had a decent idea(s) which had a lot of planning and thought into both the hobby side of things and the business side of things.

I would say it also depends a lot on how much i trust that person too and believe in them. So if it was your project Skrit i would most probably agree to something as i trust you more than some random person, but the two examples you showed not so much, although the second one is a bit more interesting than the first.
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

Ok Skrit my opinion...
really I don't know what any of those websites and that is why I think they are not that much popular in Poland. So it is hard to understand what are those about.
If it comes to a new miniatures line, the first thing I think about when I see a new thread in 'Manufactures' section are three ways of succeeding:
1. good gaming system
2. wonderful miniatures
3. what other company do you want to copy?
which one are you aiming at?

If I would back new miniature line??? depends on the miniatures, if those are nice... than yes!
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

never heard of these sites and no time to check them in details, sorry.

what exactly are they offering in your case? you present your project and people pay? for what? for future products (kind of pre-order)?
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

Post by Skrit »

@Nameless:

In short, yes! You present your project and people can 'fund' you if the idea appeals to them. Every site works different though, some pay any amount backed, some only if the target goal is made etc... People can back you for a vertain amount and htese are mostly connected to 'rewards'. These can be a copy of the mini for say 10 Euro or a painted copy for lets say 100 Euro. Basically it can be all sorts of rewards, these are just quick examples! :)

@czlowiek.morze:

Of that list I'd say 2. (in the future maybe also 1. but that's for later! ;) )
I do not want to 'copy' any other company but I guess the range has similarities with Studio McVey and Joek Minis. :)

@arctica:

In my case I would also look at the things you mention. Also thank you for trusting me mate! Though I really would like to state that even though I do want to start a range, the above was not directly with me in mind but I did would like to know how people look at these sort of sites/projects. :D
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

I think kickstarter projects are great when you don't know how the public will react.

But we all know a fantastic, high-quality miniature line will sell to hobbyists. So maybe you should make that a challenge for yourself :) Just go for it I'd say.
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

Back to the topic :)
I think now after some time, Skrit you got answer to your question:
Reaper 3,5 mln $
McVey almost 1mln $
Titan Forge 17000$ at indiegogo
This seems to be a very popular way to raise money for new miniatures. The only problem is now if you have enough time for it :D
miniatures painted:
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

the thing is that kickstarter is open only for some countries. i don't know if you can open a kickstarter project...
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

Indiegogo is for Europe possible, see Titan Forge from Poland
Last edited by sea.man on 27 Aug 2012, o 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
miniatures painted:
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

but the efficiency of kickstarter alternatives compared to kickstarter is not very encouraging...
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector