K's litte beginer gallery

Show us your *finished* works here...
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding finished models here, please. If you have WIP (work in progress) photos, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the finished work.
k_dash

Re: K's litte beginer gallery

Post by k_dash »

Hello,
I have finished my Sucuba project. This is the old metal figure not the new resin cast. I have painted a few of the resin casts for my mates from the gaming club and all those models are of terrible quality. It took me some time to find this mini. It was literally on a dusty shelf in a store. One thing strikes me as weird with this miniature. Who on earth would hold a two handed naginata in one hand so that he could play with a whip using the other. It makes no real sense to me, but if you can ride out to war on a mechanized toilet (Throne of judgement, the scribe looks a little like a toilet paper dispenser :mrgreen: ) then I guess everything is possible. If I offended anybody by this comparison, then please accept my apologies.

Hope that you will enjoy.

I am fairly happy with this work. The whip and the blade of the pole arm aren't as good as I would like them to be. Also the hair would need more work, I need more practise to achieve that vibrant red colour.

Kind regards
K'
Dengoku o oidasareta denshi wa akuma ni narushikanai.
p1per

Post by p1per »

Way too many "high-contrast" colors for my taste. You got red, green, blue, yellow, purple - pretty much the whole palette. I would try to limit your colors. If you want color-contrast you can achieve that pretty nicely by using complementary colors -> if that doesn't ring a bell go over some color theory this should greatly improve your results. :)

As for the red - never use it pure for your basecoat. Red works way better if you mix it with some darker red, brown or purple color - it doesn't have to be much just to change the tint a bit and then work your highlights and shadows from there In general a pure bright red should be your last highlight in most cases. Vermillion from Vallejo Model Colour Series is a very bright red which is a really nice color for final highlights. For shadows mixing green or purple gives pretty nice results (at least for my taste) - give it a try experiment a bit. :) ;)

Overall a good paintjob with a nice base/plinth. One thing though your paint seems a bit thick but that might be due to the lighning use (seems like cameras flash?).

Hope this helps u a bit. :)

cheers
p1per
k_dash

Post by k_dash »

I know that I have used too many colours. My problem is even thou I have read about the colour theory it just doesn't click in my brain regarding that. Most likely I will have to plan out all the colours before I even start to prime the mini.

Thank you for the comment
K'
k_dash

Post by k_dash »

Hello everyone,
This is newest project finally finished. I had immense trouble to think up a base for the mini, like always :cry: . The miniature itself is the Go-Go Marlene from Infinity. I have tired to use a limited palette of colour for this project. I honestly hoped to do just to this mini with my paint job. I hope that there is some improvement visible in my projects.
I have painted her to resemble Hatsune Miku.
Hope that you enjoy viewing. Constructive criticism I welcomed as usual.

Kind Regards
K'
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

This time I like your piece much more / colors are more balance.
I think you should work more on the pinky guy. It looks just pink, you could add more shades on it. I would give him more definition. Now it looks just as pink ball.
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
k_dash

Post by k_dash »

I have to agree. I was trying to paint this guy in very much anime style, I have done really strong highlights. But I was a bit reserved to use any different colour. I wanted o keep that bunny purely pink and any darker and it would be violet. I really do try to apply strong contrasts when painting. I will do my best to improve in the next projects.
Thank you for the feedback.
K'
k_dash

Post by k_dash »

Hello,
I have painted this mini with one thing in my mind to have as much fun as possible out of this hobby, it seams that I have forgotten about this part of my hobby. It is not by best quality, but according to what I learned from Ana it is good to show not the best work as it shows the best what is done wrong.

Constructive criticism is very welcome.

Kind Regards
K'
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

no comments this time, just request, as I've just been looking at the DarkSword site :) could you perhaps make a size comparison pic - this frog next to a well known mini?
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
k_dash

Post by k_dash »

Hello
Here is a comparison with a Infinity mini and a seraph from 40K.

Kind Regards
K'
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

thank you sir!
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================