pae's junk

Show us your *finished* works here...
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding finished models here, please. If you have WIP (work in progress) photos, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the finished work.
pae

Re: pae's junk

Post by pae »

mahon wrote: What I dislike about this mini-diorama is probably just a matter of personal preference but I never liked this way of texturing ground. I prefer flock or static grass. Looks more believable to me...
If I could get static grass to look halfway believable, I probably use it more. :mrgreen:
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

and what is the problem? colors? or direction in which the grass is growing?
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
pae

Post by pae »

mahon wrote:and what is the problem? colors? or direction in which the grass is growing?

Color isn't really a problem, since I can paint it. I just have a hard time getting it to stick and stand up straight.
arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

Post by arctica »

what i do is get a clump of static grass in my hand and push it gently onto the glue then when i leave it to dry i actually balance it so it's upside down. That way gravity can take it's course :D
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

yep, much like what I do :)
paint the surface, cover with supeglue, shake the (closed) container with static grass so that electric charges make it more likely to stand up, then I just apply it onto the surface (often by sprinkling it from the container) and hold it upside down. gravity does its job, and after a few seconds I blow unnecessary grass off the model. works like charm :)
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
pae

Post by pae »

My grass always clumps together when I do it that way.
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

I think the base itself is very well done, the texturing is good but the only problem is that it's been used on a surface which is too large. This would work on a smaller base, or maybe when broken up with some more rocks.

Great work.
arctica

Post by arctica »

pae wrote:My grass always clumps together when I do it that way.
Maybe too much glue? i find sometimes it's better to smooth out the glue using an old paintbrush so it's a thin layer and i only touch one side of the static grass to the glue so the other end isn't stuck down.
pae

Post by pae »

Here's the dwarf I've been working on for the past couple of weeks.

ImageClick to see full-sized image
arctica

Post by arctica »

Great work, everything is really nice and smooth on the model then there is a nice contrasting rough base. Really good colour choices too. This is my favourite piece from you yet :D