Golden Demon UK 2011

Golden Demons and all the other miniature painting competitions and events
atacam

Re: Golden Demon UK 2011

Post by atacam »

No, I understand its not aimed at me directly. I was trying to get across there were very inspiring entries there. I think these weren't represented fairly in the pics, and for that I do agree with Nav.

Maybe I was being grouchy, but I think I am right in some instances of my posting, maybe wrong in others.

Just to clear up a point, I am dead on Nav, not miles off, as the part you quoted in your last, you say you weren't trying to be condescending I wrote
but being that this is internet and languages can be a barrier I am willing to bet it wasn't meant like that
So I was saying I really didn't think you were trying to be, so I was correct. Yes we have known each other for a long time, and in all that time I think this is the first time we have disagreed, but believe this there were some cracking entries take these for instance, again not the best quality, but it gives you a better idea than GW.

ImageClick to see full-sized image

I will take some pics of my Skaven entry, although they probably will be just as bad as GWs ;)
NAVARRO
Mr. Bug-Man

Post by NAVARRO »

atacam wrote: Yes we have known each other for a long time, and in all that time I think this is the first time we have disagreed, but believe this there were some cracking entries take these for instance, again not the best quality, but it gives you a better idea than GW.
One thing is to disagree about the UK GD overall quality and that we can talk all day long... another thing is saying that - Im discouraging people as usual ( that says that I do that constantly) and that by expressing my honest unbiased opinion about this event Im not constructive and quite negative. I really do hope you see the SO different levels of this discussion... Because the personal attack one will not get you much far in getting my attention. :)

Lets not drag this, shall we move along now?

As for the new pics the painting looks good on those ( much better than GW pics) But still nothing that rocks my boat concept wise... the best one being the who's the chosen one dio but its only a dio because it has 2 figs in it, the way the chaos fella is walking and the direction he is looking almost seems he is totally unaware of the winged marine, in short this could be 2 nice individual entries because minis are not interacting in the dio.
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

honest opinions are appreciated, being bold enough to express them and sign then with your name is also something respectable. Even when sometimes I disagree with you, Nav, I appreciate the fact you don't sugar-coat your words and say what you truly think.
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

Another great picture report on Cédric Lurkin's website: http://www.fullrepent.fr/spip.php?article110
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

I've been reading the discussion on the previous page and I got a bit of a flashback from last year's GD UK. Judging there was considered awkward too.

I think GD UK can be considered completely different from the other ones on the European mainland, both entry- and judging-wise. GD US is also very different.

I once read that Golden Demon is a painting competition, only painting is judged. Bases are ignored, and even conversion. However I think this is a vital part of the hobby, and the judges in France for example will take these factors into account, I'm sure. How the UK judges apply these rules (if they are true), I don't know...
Pandadosmares
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Pandadosmares »

Im glad there were cool works but the mixed feeling is overwhelming i don't want to be bad but who won really? :doh: OMG those judges
atacam

Post by atacam »

The judging was certainly strange. One of the judges was Aragon Marks, I spoke to him after, very nice guy.