Whats your favourite brush?

What good is a nice miniature if you don't know how to show it?
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Re: Whats your favourite brush?

Post by Corvus »

I've been using the W&N Series 7 for several years now, and it's definitely the best brush I've every used. I'm so happy with it that I don't feel the urge to try out other brushes.

But two years ago I did: I bought a Rosemary & Co to try out, I was quite pleased with it. One thing I noticed was that they wear out a lot faster than W&N. So I ordered a second batch, but the consistency as really missing: a split point on one, a bad point on another... The quality checks on these are obviously a lot less strict than with W&N.

So right now I'm happily painting again with W&N, mainly using a #1 and a #0, sometimes a Miniature #0 for the detailing work.

I think Rosemary & Co is the best choice if you want to start using a good artists brush, when you come from GW or other hobby-store brushes. They're great value. But if you want that little bit more, and you are prepared to pay for it: choose W&N.

Here's a picture I posted on my blog a while ago, when someone asked me about my brushes (http://corvusminiatures.blogspot.com/se ... techniques).

On the left you can see a W&N Series 7 Miniature 0, on the right a regular #1. You can see it still has a very good point, even with quite a lot of painting hours under its belt.
ImageClick to see full-sized image
djinn24

Re: Whats your favourite brush?

Post by djinn24 »

Played around with the Maestro last night. not impressed. Only after a short time painting with it started to poof up like a pissed off cat. It is almost structured like a miniature and has very little body to it. When it kept a point it was needle sharp which is a plus but for a brush that cost me more then my Series 7 I was expecting more. My first size 1 Series 7 finally started dovetailing after a couple years use and I am waiting on some W&N brush cleaner to clean the ferrule out and it should be fine again.