Ponds! (help with Water)

How to convert or sculpt a miniature? How to make a decent base or even a full diorama?!
Cheredanine

Ponds! (help with Water)

Post by Cheredanine »

HI,
OK I need help, generally, but more specifically:

I am doing a centrepiece for GW games day (UK), it comprises a captured hive tyrant - fine got the tyrant, got some chain, started painting. Then they decide they want it mobile, so got 2 forgeworld powerlifters, some rods and more chain, hunky dory. I got a little carried away though and have built up the base and recessed part of it to form a small pond/large puddle whicch the beast will have one foot in, there are reeds and pebbles round the edge, so now I come to the problem,how to do the water? I have some EZ water from woodland scenics, so what I am after is any advice or tips on how to use the stuff! do I apply the whole water at once or part at a time? am I gonna suffer with air bubbles areound the beasts foot, the reeds and pebbles? how flusi is it? are the edges gonna be OK?

Chered
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

RE: Ponds! (help with Water)

Post by Demi_morgana »

welcome on cofc! :D
I had a little expercience with maing water but You can try sth like this:
-paint the area in watery colour like blue, green or blue + green :wink:
-put several layers of pva glue on it (wait until glue will dry before putting another layer)
-put watered down blue of green wash on it
-after it COMPLETLY dry pour thick layer of gloss varnish
-enjoy the view :wink:

this should work

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

Post by Skrit »

I believe ToMaZ uses that stuff too from Woodland Scenics so come on ToMaZ, give the guy some advice! ;)
KingUlrikFlamebeard

Post by KingUlrikFlamebeard »

Sorry but nothing to add except, Hey! Chered, I'm assuming you're the one from LO. If not umm.. hey and welcome too ^^

KU
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

- woodland scenics stuff
- PVA glue
- nail polish
- clear resin

that's what people use to create water...
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
LadyEyes
the List-mistress

Post by LadyEyes »

Chered, I've used this stuff a little bit but never in a large quantity/area. I remember it being very thick and not very prone to having bubbles. I believe you can MAKE it have bubbles if you want to, but I don't think it will have too many naturally.

I painted a base color under where I was going to put it. Since I was doing a muddy puddle, I made mine a brown sort of color. If you want the water to be murky or more opaque (like muddy water) you can mix a little acrylic paint in with it, too. I wouldn't mix it too thoroughly, though, so you still get some clear "water" look.

ToMaZ (or others) might be able to tell you more about using it in large areas. I don't know if you should do small patches or layers or just all at once. Sorry.

Hope this helped at least a little, and welcome to CoC. :D
"I like gypsy moths and radio talk
Cause it doesn't remind me of anything"
Cheredanine

Post by Cheredanine »

Wow, brilliant, all other sites I have tried I have had no real sucess.

OK thanks for the responses, lets see what we got:

KU - hi mate, yeah its me

Morgana - yeah I have used PVA before for oil spills etc, but not really happy with the effct for a larger body of water. It does remain a fallback option though

Mohan - yeah as above, used PVA, seen the nail varnish appraoch, including Jenova's tutoria, but this stuff is largely around making a non-opaque serface look like deeper water, the WS stuff is, as far as I can tell clear resin

Lady Eyes - Brillaint, in one pot more advice than I have had on all the other boards put together - thanks
No Air bubbles -great - dont really want them, but a little worried if I run the stuff up to the base of the reeds or the pebbles that air could get trapped under it if it is thick
Thickness- ok thick stuff has a very different surface tension (OK it is about 19 years since my dynaminc of fluids classes at uni and I slept through most of them, but..) typically you would get a "buble effect at the edge of thicker fluids, does EZ water tnd to do this or will it settle and produce concave edges like water?
Mixing Paint - yeah I consdiered making the puddle a little darker, would ink be a better choice than acrylic paint, given it used opaque pigment?

Thanks Again
Chered
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

Cheredanine wrote:Wow, brilliant, all other sites I have tried I have had no real sucess.
aren't we trying to help? :P
Mohan
huh? is it me? :think:
Lady Eyes - Brillaint, in one pot more advice than I have had on all the other boards put together - thanks
thanks for the answer, Tanya :) It was really interesting! :rose:
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Tammo_korsai

Post by Tammo_korsai »

The GW water effects looks good, thers a guide on how to use it in White Dwarf somewhere, which in a nutshell says to put small amounts of water effect on at a time and leave it to dry overnight.... you could probaly put some thin inks in whilst it drys for a murky effect. :)
Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

Post by Skrit »

Hahaa, threadowmancy!:P