Custom Banners

How to convert or sculpt a miniature? How to make a decent base or even a full diorama?!
endrem

Custom Banners

Post by endrem »

As the topic title suggests, I would like to know how do you guys make nice and smooth surface banners? I mean now alternative ways, like GS or other putty, not paper.

I'm planning to make a little banner for a figure and I tried to make it out of Green Stuff. I read somewhere once, that it helps to get the GS surface smooth and even if I press it on some kitchen film. This I have tried, it was better than with bare hands, but there were still some crinkles I couldn't remove.

Anyone has a good method to make it better? Any ideas are highly appreciated :).
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

RE: Custom Banners

Post by mahon »

You can use metal (alluminium) foil, or GS - both give good effects
as for the method I use with GS - I will post some info from home...

generally it is that you use baking paper (covered with some water or some vaseline) put some GS on it and cover it with the paper again.

then you roll something over it to make it flat. after some time whan it's a bit cured you can take it, cut the shape and attach it to the mini. And add details later...
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
ToMaZ
Expects too much, too

Post by ToMaZ »

Nice topic Endre! It was something I would like to know too :D

Isn't it hard once you get the right shape, to let it cure that way?
---ToMaZ---

Try honesty...
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

I use pencils, sticks, brushes to bend the shape and leave the sheet of GS lying between them so it cures in the right shape
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
endrem

Post by endrem »

That sounds like a good idea with the baking paper... I have to try that at home. Thanks for the tip, and waiting for the "post from home" :-)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Me too! ;)
Czarny

Post by Czarny »

I was using a plastic bag, not like this from supermarket but one which had bigger thickness. I was just putting GS on it and than mowing the plastic making banner shape. After GS will get harden I was removing plastic and banner was finished.
To smooth surface I’m also using a dental tool cowered with some water or oil (vaseline).
Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

Post by Skrit »

I make my banners from metal cut out of cans. (beer cans, cola cans, hope you get what I mean...) It's very thin and you can bend it into shape very easily. :)
endrem

Post by endrem »

The can idea also sounds good. Isn't it a bit more sensitive than those made of GS?
GS stays a bit flexible, even after curing, that's why I rather tend to use that....
Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

Post by Skrit »

The only thing you have to be careful with (like all delicate places on a mini!) is that you don't bend it to much after it's been painted. Not because of the paint, which is always a bit flexibel, but because of the wrinkels that will get in the metal. It's very hard to get them out once they're in there!