How to... get realistic Water Effects?

How to convert or sculpt a miniature? How to make a decent base or even a full diorama?!
lonepainter

Post by lonepainter »

I asked this same question on another board. I was given this link Modeling Water. Take a look towards the bottom of the page, there are a few examples and tutorials. It seems the best way to make ripples is to use a standard clear epoxy as it sets faster. I have not tried it yet but am going to in the near future.

I am curious as this was not answered. The Water Effects from Woodland Scenics from what I have been told is affected by heat after it has set. Making it pliable or even melts. Is this true? Is this the same product that GW is using for their Water Effect?
Orb

Post by Orb »

I've just got hold of some Andrea 2 part resin water.....can be coloured slightly...........I'll hopefully be using it soon so I'll let you know....
illusionrip
Sonny Crockett

Post by illusionrip »

th ewoodland scenic water is the same a the new gw water
Przemas

Post by Przemas »

i`ve achieved good effects with vallejo water mixed with inks. took a lot of layers (as the resign shrinks when it dries) though
KingUlrikFlamebeard

Post by KingUlrikFlamebeard »

Not to highjack this thread but I am looking at this woodland scenics water stuff and well... any shops closer to home? I am not looking to pay $97 for two bottles of the stuff!! O_O

So any Uk or Europe links, or an alternative that works and is not too expensive would be nice. Please.

KU
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

Illusionrip is getting good results with Andrea Artificial Water. UK distributor for Andrea is Historex Agents - they should have it (or be able to get it for you).
If you have any problems - let me know. We got that product in stock ;)
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
KingUlrikFlamebeard

Hmm.. I will see, I have never used water effect basing before and yes I could go GW but we all know about their prices.

KU
KingUlrikFlamebeard

Ok well it seems I will be unable to get WS stuff from Europe, but I have been linked to this stuff;

ImageClick to see full-sized image

"Devcon 5 Minute Epoxy

Clear, fast setting Epoxy for many uses including detailed water effects as used by Bruce Hirst of "Castlemolds"

AW Says - excellent crystal-clear high strength fast curing Epoxy. This is a very powerful epoxy glue with lots of uses - highly recommended."

And this page;

http://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxse ... =&PageNo=2

Now, anyone used these and if so how do they compare to WS?

Oh and any guides for this sort of stuff?

KU
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

KingUlrikFlamebeard wrote:Ok well it seems I will be unable to get WS stuff from Europe
http://www.bachmann.co.uk
they are listed on WS site as a dealer from UK. Have you contacted them?

As of other products - I guess any epoxy resin could be used by modellers to create water effects.
illusionrip
Sonny Crockett

Post by illusionrip »

right now i'm trying a secret technics to make wave and splash with andre resin

i will let you know about the results