Wash Problem

Everything from sanding and priming to varnishing!
Spyda665
(Forum newbie)

Wash Problem

Post by Spyda665 »

Hey all, Just joined here to get a little advice, It's been a good 20 years since I've painted miniatures and lately been buying a few, mix of resin, plastic and metal ... It's only been a few weeks but It's coming back to me except for washing ... It's just not having any of it!!

I'll mix up a wash and apply it, and it runs into the cracks and crevices, but when I go back to it, it's as if the wash is drying outside of the crack ... It's hard to explain so I'll try and make a little "picture"

Now imagine this is the "crevice",--- \_/ ---the wash should run into the bottom flat area right? .... But no ... The wash is drying on the \ / areas, but leaving the _ area the base colour ... and I have absolutely no idea why ... I've tried watered down washes, thicker washes, and I just cant figure it ... Any tips would be appreciated ... Thanks!
Pandadosmares
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Re: Wash Problem

Post by Pandadosmares »

does this happen with other color beside the washes?
Spyda665
(Forum newbie)

Post by Spyda665 »

Nope, Just the washes ... Have you heard of this before, any Idea's what could be causing it?
Pandadosmares
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Pandadosmares »

i only saw this happen wend theres grease in the area
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

AND THIS is usaual issue with resine minatures - if you don't wash then in warm water with
soap
now .. well now you may try to clean grease with alcohol .. risking washing your previous work
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
Spyda665
(Forum newbie)

Post by Spyda665 »

It could be that ... Iv'e been buying cheap miniatures, and plastic ones to practice on ... but it's still happened on the metal ones too ... I've tried adding a little washing up liquid to the water, as I read that hard / soft water can effect the painting, and that's seemed to have helped a little bit ...
arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

Post by arctica »

Part of the problem may be the age of the paints/wash too :) as the pigment can unbond with the liquid medium.

I would recommend making sure it's a fresh batch or it's really well mixed.